View Single Post
Old 09-26-2019, 05:33 PM   #17
Synchro909

Default Re: My 1st decent drive of Model A and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by john charlton View Post
Luckily here in England counter weighted cranks are available and plentiful and cheap .Ford in England built AA trucks into 1936 many thousands also thousands of industrial units through WW2 . These were fitted with the fully counter weighted crank .They can be fitted into an A engine by turning down the mains, normally the big ends are left stock sometimes the pan needs to be "massaged" to give rotational clearance. Seems to work just fine . I have a whole heap of B cranks collected over the years all very very cheap but you pay the shipping !!!

John in sunny spells rain showers Suffolk County England .
Counterweighted cranks and B anything are not very coomon here. They are about but you have to look for them. I have a counterweighted B crank and looked at putting it in an A engine. There is a space of 2" between the main bearing bolts in an A block so the mains journals would have to be turned down to fit in there. I looked at running it on inserts. What bearings do you guys use and do you make new bearing caps? I'm not sure there would be enough of an original cap left by the time it is bored out to take the much larger journal. I have been told there is a particular model Toyota that is a source of inserts and that the Holden red motor big end shells will do the job. If I ever do this rebuild, I'd prefer trimetal shells over the bimetal ones most used these days.