View Single Post
Old 07-20-2014, 09:37 PM   #54
DougVieyra

Default Re: Rumble Seat vs. trunk values

There is no "correct" answer. It is like describing 'pretty'. All subjective to the eye of the beholder.

That being said - I think if you were to poll 100 potential buyers, I think the vast majority of the would prefer the rumble seat. As a practical matter, you can also ask the same (or different) 100 potential buyers, if they would prefer a car that seats two people, verses a car that seats four people. Again, I would suspect that there would be a vastly larger number of people that would prefer a car that sat four people. A rumble seat allows for that, in addition to 'looking a bit more sporty'. And then there is the panache of the word "Rumble Seat" and memories (or stories) of all the 'thrills' and excitement that the word conjures - sparking, spooning, and such (and for kids - FUN, FUN, FUN ! ).

And while I will not deny the practical aspect of the functional trunk, with a spare tire blocking the way to easy access, the trunk too can be a pain in the aerse. I drove my '28 Chevy (Chevy did not offer a rumble seat) for about 10 years and constantly found that the rear-mounted (Chevy also did not offer side-mounted spares) spare always made it difficult to load and unload cargo.

About the only thing a trunk offers today, is the uniqueness of what was once the common 'norm'.

Last edited by DougVieyra; 07-20-2014 at 09:44 PM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote