View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 09:19 AM   #63
JWL
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Early V8 Dyno Work

The only "crocs" around here stay pretty close to water. The final, at track, "tuning" of a competition engine amounts to very minor adjustments made to coordinate with current atmospheric conditions. In these cases the "at track" tuning is done to match the power standards established on the dyno. If the "at track" tuning improves the power beyond what the standardized numbers were at the dyno it can only mean the job was poorly done in the dyno room or the atmospheric conditions have changed to a point beyond the SAE standard correction factor. (a very unlikely occurrence)The dyno rooms are operating at full capacity in all the winners' shops.

As for Bonneville I think one of my Bonneville Flathead records remains viable although it is always just a matter of time before someone puts enough time and money into a project to break a record. However the Goldenrod record existed for nearly 50 years, so, who knows? As for USAC, there is more lap time influence provided by the chassis, tires, and driver than any engine tuning.

There was no mention of the Drag Race engines but the most powerful, refined, competition engines can be found at the drag strip. Too, it is the only form of racing which gives a good reading for determining the power of an engine. I have many trophies in both Flathead and non-Flathead classes but I do not see why that would be important to mention in this discussion??

Pete, I usually try to correct and inform you privately when your information is wrong or poorly expressed.

I am reminded of the quote I saw the other day that went something like "do not get too smart to learn". And, I would add, "or think". Yes, I know about the older I get the better I was.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote