View Single Post
Old 05-07-2021, 10:45 AM   #14
Model A Ron

Default Re: Hydraulic brake balancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Newbery View Post
I had severe problems with my hydraulic brakes aa well. I have a brake booster on mine and the car would dive to the Center of the road. I am using DOT 5 brake fluid. I tried adjusting heavy to the passenger side and nothing worked. I noticed a dampness on the left front wheel cylinder. I removed the new leaking wheel cylinder and found porosity in the bore. Most of these wheel cylinders are made in China and they are junk. I measured the cylinder bores and it was not within specs I went hunting for made in U S. A ones and no luck. I found that Raybestos cylinders are made in China but they have quality control. I put the new wheel cylinder in ,no leaks the car still dived. I removed the brake shoes and steam cleaned them ,brake-cleaned them and the car was better but not perfect. I went to a old timer that owned a brake and muffler shop and he said throw the brake shoe away and put a new one in. He said you will never get the brake fluid out of the lining. I did what he said and it cured the problem. These hydraulic brakes can be a problem but once you figure it out, they are really good. My car pulls straight on a panic stop and It will lock all four tires . Also when you buy a new wheel cylinder, take it apart and inspect it and measure it.
I have heard many stories like yours. As for made in China stuff I work in manufacturing and I have seen nothing but issues with China metal. If the part is not structural it may be fine but if you need it to perform forget about it. The Metallurgy tells the story when you look at the chemistry and micro structure of the metal. I have come to the conclusion that ASTM Standards are optional in China.

Ron
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote