View Single Post
Old 05-07-2021, 10:35 AM   #13
Bruce Newbery

Default Re: Hydraulic brake balancing

I had severe problems with my hydraulic brakes aa well. I have a brake booster on mine and the car would dive to the Center of the road. I am using DOT 5 brake fluid. I tried adjusting heavy to the passenger side and nothing worked. I noticed a dampness on the left front wheel cylinder. I removed the new leaking wheel cylinder and found porosity in the bore. Most of these wheel cylinders are made in China and they are junk. I measured the cylinder bores and it was not within specs I went hunting for made in U S. A ones and no luck. I found that Raybestos cylinders are made in China but they have quality control. I put the new wheel cylinder in ,no leaks the car still dived. I removed the brake shoes and steam cleaned them ,brake-cleaned them and the car was better but not perfect. I went to a old timer that owned a brake and muffler shop and he said throw the brake shoe away and put a new one in. He said you will never get the brake fluid out of the lining. I did what he said and it cured the problem. These hydraulic brakes can be a problem but once you figure it out, they are really good. My car pulls straight on a panic stop and It will lock all four tires . Also when you buy a new wheel cylinder, take it apart and inspect it and measure it.
Bruce Newbery is offline   Reply With Quote