View Single Post
Old 11-07-2020, 10:45 AM   #3
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: French flat mods

If it was mine, I would "convert" the front of the motor to a 59AB style - water pumps, timing cover, cam, distributor, etc.. I would also run the center water outlet heads.

You want the fan belt to be tight against the block (like a 32 was) - so I take a a later crankshaft pulley (the one where the fan mounts on it - around 1940 or so) - and I cut the fan mounting flange off of it.

You'll run a crab style distributor (easiest of the front mount ones to use) and you'll need to run the early t-slot style camshaft and the early crank/cam gears. I don't know about the governor boss in the back, but I sure as heck would get that big "lump" outta there.

Also, something that I do is cut the water pump "mounting horns" off of the 39-48 water pumps - as you're not using them . . . they stick out like "bull horns" - looks like crap in my mind.

You should also use the 1932 fan (which correctly fits up top) - they are expensive, but that is what you'll want. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I have a 1942 Merc motor in my 32 Cabriolet - so I've been down this path (the front of the motor stuff).
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote