View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 08:40 PM   #7
Benny123

Default Re: Constant Horn/ dead battery

Quick update to those that stumble on this for years to come. I tried to fit a straw piece, but the straw was a tad small and wouldnt go on. I then decided to try a very small piece of vinyl tubing I had on hand (you can get it from plumbing at a local hardware store), approx 3/8 diameter. I used about 6mm of it, and slipped it on and it was well insulated. I also left about 3 mm of the metal exposed below the tube.
Additionally I found I was also shorting from the wheel. Apparently any of us can short out above where the horn button is. If you begin to rotate it you will feel the button get tighter and tighter until there is no play and the horn stays on. You can keep turning and it gets looser and turns off as well. What apparently happening is that the spring in the button is collapsing and expanding and when it collapses it grounds out and it turns the horn on. I made a mark on top of the button to be able to reposition if needed.
Also, having a kill switch or pulling your fuse will prevent this power draw *and allow your neighbors to sleep*