View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 03:34 PM   #16
41woodie

Default Re: Varnishing Woodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodie1 View Post
What are your thoughts on varnishing all the wood sides of body pieces on a Woodie wagon? It seems I've heard all sides shouldn't be varnished as the wood can't breath.
You seem to have stirred up a lot of good information but nothing to the point of your question. I'm in the process of refinishing my 41 woodie using Interlux Schooner 96, so far I'm very pleased with the outcome. I'm not a fan of the plastic look that sprayed on clear coat produces but it's just a matter of personal taste.
As to finishing both sides of the wood, I don't know if I'm making a mistake or not but on the inside surfaces of the wood I'm applying a 2-3 coats of polyurethane varnish to protect the hidden surfaces. I don't know how important "breathing" is to the wood but it doesn't make sense to me to leave the interior surfaces unprotected, especially in the doors where water can run down the glass into the interior of the door.
I know that most of us try to avoid rain and car wash water but it's not always possible to do so. I drive our car, including a roundtrip to San Diego from our home in Oklahoma City as well as another round trip to Back to the 50s in St. Paul. It seems like as soon as I raise the garage door it immediately begins to cloud up. It's gotten to a point that friends thought I should get the vanity tag "Rainmkr" Lol.
41woodie is offline   Reply With Quote