View Single Post
Old 09-09-2018, 04:13 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Original points vs V8 points ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by James G. View Post
Boy I sure do like the original A points, sooo easy to gap check/set!! Still, I also greatly appreciate having the condenser on the upper plate. Why not marry the two???
Has anyone actually mounted original A points on the modern upper plate where the condenser is located???
My 31 Tudor is a touring pleasure. I've visited from Georgia to Nova Scotia, to WI, and to Louisiana. What I must have is maximum reliability and ease of servicing.
How about it --?? Has anyone here performed this marrage, original points on modern upper plate??

What have you tried, what worked and what didn't???
Thanks for your comments and thoughts.
Jim Gregory
GBMAFC

Jim, my first reaction to your question is 'Why'??

My personal experience says there is not really a need any longer.

We must go back and remember what the advantage was when NuRex introduced the 'modern' plate for Model-A distributers. At that time, reproduction capacitors/condensers were junk and would burn-out with frequency, and the reproduction point tips were not made with Tungsten which just made for a poor ignition system. During that same time, any local auto parts store had Ford V-8 points & condensers in stock which meant the likelihood of you getting stranded due to a faulty ignition system was rare.

Fast-forward 40 years, and you will find that today most local auto parts do not carry ignition points & condensers since around 1974 or so was the last Ford vehicles to use points or condensers, --however today there are quality made original points, stock-location burn-proof condensers that work well, and quality made points cams for the distributer that leave no excuse for not using the stock type system.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)