View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #137
Bruce in southern OH

Default Re: Yes, they are still out there NUMBER 2

Picked up the 39 LZ gas tank and fill tube today from radiator shop. They did an excellent job. Man that owns shop said that he really wish he could see in the two hidden areas of tank to see how well the coating did because of the extent of rust. (said one of the worst tanks he had done due to amount of rust) I told him if he wanted I could cut two holes in the two parts of tank that did not have line of sight. Took tank to garage, filled with WATER and cut two holes, one in the top end opposite from fill tube and one in the middle rear behind baffle and sending unit. Used my 2 3/8" conduit hole saw, both slugs removed were coated heavily with the red coating material. We both inspected the interior and found that if not entirely clean and coated, that if particles of rust were still present that they were heavily coated and held in place with the red material. Fill tube was as good as new. Will take tank to Don P. on Monday and install two covers with gaskets and screws to close holes.
Gas tank after installation of two holes for inspection, black lines are the interior baffles

Picture of tank and two slugs removed from tank, both slugs were coated, you can click on photo to enlarge photo to view slugs closer.

Fill tube coating was also done nicely
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote