View Single Post
Old 08-31-2014, 10:11 PM   #125
Ken/Alabama

Default Re: Yes, they are still out there NUMBER 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce in southern OH View Post
Found one reason that the transmission was low in car, I could not get the universal covers off with out lifting engine up so transmission would raise. Today I took rear transmission support off, it came off in two pieces, the top was broke in half,( metal ring with rubber cover ) has been this way for a long time, it let the transmission/universal cover rest on the cross member. I was hoping that it affected the clutch linkage/stuck clutch problem but does not. Looking for replacement rear transmission support, have located one transmission support from man in California, appreciate his help and information. NOW for the question today, told today that I could unscrew cap around the shift lever and would let me remove shifter without having to take side off transmission. I believe him but is this cap under spring pressure on just a lift off/out, how hard to replace lever in correct position. thanks everyone

Hey Bruce, The shifter is really easy to remove on your Zephyr.No need to unscrew the cap. Look at the base of the shifter and just above where it meets the transmission you will see it has a pin through it. Remove the cotter pin and drive the pin out and the shift lever will pull up. Its just sitting over a stub shaft. Steele Rubber Products can rebuild your rear mount. Got mine from Alan Whelihan,but no matter where you get one chances are that Steele rebuilt it. They are a little pricey if you havent already found that out.

Last edited by Ken/Alabama; 08-31-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote