View Single Post
Old 11-04-2019, 06:55 PM   #16
GOSFAST

Default Re: flathead rebuild

This "thinking" goes back to the old days where it really was a good idea to have the pistons on the bench right next to the boring bar/hone.

The times have really changed dramatically, we finish the blocks beforehand most of the time now (even though we generally have the pistons here anyway). This is due to the fact that the quailty-control on the aftermarket pistons is way beyond where it was years ago!

I have over 10 sets of Ross (Flathead) pistons on the shelf and all the sets are for 3.312" bore, some for different strokes, but all the same bore size! I can take a single piston at random from each box and they will ALL be within .0002" of each other AND they will all be same weight!

It's just the way it is today. On the other hand if we're using some "unknown" brands of pistons I would prefer to have them here. Can't recall the last Flathead pistons other than Ross that we've even used here!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. On a side note here, we tend to run the clearances on the "low", at least with the Ross line, we always have a bit of "wiggle" room left if necessary!
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote