View Single Post
Old 12-29-2018, 03:19 AM   #1
RandyMettler

Default First time flathead cam removal

I am planning on removing a camshaft from a 8BA. Never done this before. Can you remove the camshaft when the engine is mounted to the frame? Do you have to pull the crankshaft first? I understand the valves have to come out and the timing cover needs to come off, but is it that simple or do you have to drop the oil pan and yank the back bone out of the beast. I understand coaxing the cam back into the block is a delicate procedure and you need one hand outside the block and one hand inside to keep from damaging things. Also I have two, what I am going to call retaining plates in the lifter valley that I have no idea how they are attached or how to remove them. There is a smooth shaft that runs through them the full length of the block? The you tube videos on this show the total rebuilds fragmented, I just need to identify the cam for lash settings. It might be a full race cam, but I am not sure. It idles in patterns for short durations. Constantly shifting it rhythm. Lopey. To me that is a race cam, but this is speculation. The existing lash at intake valves measured was between 0.17 and .020. The previous owner may have incorrectly set the lash according to 8BA settings, which would have been specified at around .018. The cam is from a 59Aera engine in a 8BA block so the intake lash at intake should have been set around 0.12. I really need to see what's going on internally. I was told it was a recent rebuilt and I tested the compression and measures 110 on all cylinders so I would be surprised if the cam was old and tired, but again not sure. They may have not addressed the cam or done a rebuild and just replaced the rings.

Do or do not, there is no try!
I prefer running head first, bashing my way through obstacles, yah it hurts, and there are complications along the way, but in the end at least you know where you stand.
A wise man sees a problem and fixes the issue no matter what the cost, an ignorant man sees a problem and simply turns away. Who becomes richer in the end?

Last edited by RandyMettler; 12-29-2018 at 12:34 PM.
RandyMettler is offline   Reply With Quote