View Single Post
Old 08-25-2015, 04:01 PM   #4
ktgarcia

Default Re: Starting my flathead

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
All gauges, except the ammeter, are powered by a common circuit. As you report problems with more than one gauge, check the feed to the gauges for proper voltage, and the various senders for good grounds, as the senders work by providing the grounds. This includes having a clean, tight ground strap between the battery and the engine, as well as the body of the vehicle.
Before I was able to start my engine, I had grounding problems. I cleaned the surface of the starter and pan, cleaned/sanded the point of contact for the battery cable to the firewall, and the point of contact for the ground strap to the block.

Once that was completed, the start button and the button on the solenoid turned the motor over. Because it had new gas lines, I primed the lines but it still took a little bit to get fuel to the carburetor. Once all done, the engine started. I felt the ground issue would now be solved.

I will check the voltage to the gages, but where should I look for grounding the gages? Do I need to remove the gage cluster and sand the inner surface where the cluster fits. Could it have too much paint present to prevent a good ground?

Thanks again.
ktgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote