View Single Post
Old 09-19-2018, 08:54 PM   #15
Herman Munster

Default Re: 1960-1972 ford trucks- thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedwards View Post
I wish I had never sold my 86 f150. I bought it new with the I6 long bed manual 4 speed w OD and air. It was a great truck. Sold it to a friend in 2001 but haven't seen it in years.

I had an 85 that was bought new with same combo but no A/C. It was a basic truck with only p/s,, side mirrors and step bumper. It was a special deal at $6995. The dealer had several on the lot in the same combo, just pick your color. I picked a silver one with a blue interior. It was a nice looking truck but not very tough. I went through two clutches by 60K miles. The clutch was two small. After upgrading to the larger clutch it was OK. The flywheel had the holes in it for the larger diameter clutch. The other issue was the transmission. It wasn't very strong either. It started making bearing noises at just over 80K. The shifter lever also sheared off near the base sometime later. The clutch and slave were cheap plastic and didn't last much longer either. The tailgate had stress cracks after a few years and by the time 5 years had passed, I had a very hard time closing it.
I always had issues with the manifold to head bolts coming loose. Even loctite didn't help. The engine developed some odd rattling noises that occurred when starting and if you revved the engine when cold. It sounded fine once it warmed up.
I ended up giving it to my dad and he changed it over to an automatic after the transmission and clutch master/slave gave him issues. He drove it until about 1993 when he bought a new F150 extra cab, also with the 300 but with an automatic. He had issues with it but never really told me anything specific. The 85 sat until he gave it away for a tax write off.