View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 03:00 PM   #7
Ed in Maine

Default Re: 30 Town Sedan Front seat

Hi Terry, I wish I could help you. I had a Town Sedan between 1964 and 1998. I sold it to finish a 1932 Model B after I retired. I do remember having to repair the right hand side of the seat base where the wood front cross piece was fitted to the side wood piece. I had just bought this car and took my Dad for a ride. He got into the front seat passenger side and to get himself comfortable, he leaned back hard to get his position adjusted. All of a sudden, he almost fell into the back seat when the spline between the two pieces of wood on the seat base shattered. The wood had dry rot and was cracked. I used oak about 7/8 to 1 in. thick and a band saw to cut the slot so the mating pieces would fit together with a splined joint. The long piece of wood across the front provided the center of the spline joint and the short side pieces provided the top and bottom portion of the splined joint. Sorry but I did not take any pictures all those years ago. Be careful when you drill the holes in the new side piece for the seat tracks that are screwed to the frame. The alignment has to be perfect so that the seat slides easily when you turn the seat adjustment knob in the center front. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote