View Single Post
Old 11-26-2021, 09:05 PM   #13
nkaminar

Default Re: Trouble starting my Model A

YO&S stated that it ran only with the choke out then would quit. It would not run at all without a spark. Having to have the choke out to run the engine would indicate to me that there is a problem with the fuel. I helped a new owner who had a makeshift shut off valve under the tank with a fitting that extended into the tank. Even though there was gasoline in the tank the car would only run with the choke out and then stopped running all together. There was no fuel coming out of the line at the carburetor. We put 2 gallons in the tank and the engine started up and ran fine.

YO&S says that the car is now not running at all. I would check to see if there is gas getting to the carburetor first although there may now be another issue with the ignition as Crosscut suggests.

The 1928 instructions for how to start the car in the video that I shared in my first post are about half way through the video. Very basic stuff but something that has to be learned by every new Model A owner. Also see the instruction manual that came with the car. If not with the car you can buy a new one from the dealers.

If the floor was full of gasoline after attempts to start the car then there may be a problem with the ignition. Or it could be that the carburetor jets are clogged up. It also could be that the ignition was not advanced when the engine started. Or the engine got flooded. Or . . . . . .

If the person who sold the car is close by, they could be consulted.

I am going to guess that initially there was fuel getting to the carburetor. And that the jets in the carburetor were clogged up. And that now there is no gas getting to the carburetor. That would explain the initial gasoline on the floor and the necessity of using the choke to run the engine and the fact that it is now not starting. It sounds exactly like the issue I had with the other car that was out of fuel except in that case the carburetor was OK.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 11-26-2021 at 09:26 PM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote