Thread: T5 guys TKX
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2020, 06:30 PM   #14
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: T5 guys TKX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
I agree with most of what V8 Coopman had to say, except I think it isn't all that easy to build a close ratio T5 for under a grand - including the necessary S10 rear section. I don't think I could actually do it (with me doing the work).

Most T5's come with a wide ratio gear set where 1st is practically useless . . . and the standard overdrive ratio is pretty steep (somewhere around .68 to .72 if I remember). I've modified them to put a .82 OD in, but there goes a couple hundred bucks on top of everything else. If you want to buy a close-ratio gear set, it is another $500+ . . . then you have to buy a rebuild kit, new synchros, etc - and do the work. (There goes probably another $150 or so in parts).

My guess is that for an average guy to buy all the stuff to build a close-ratio T5, with a .82 OD, S10 rear housing . . . they're probably going to be well over $1500 - AND, they better know how to rebuild it (and most guys I know are not skilled in transmission rebuilds).

When you start adding it all up (including your time and rebuilding work), buying a new TKX isn't a huge amount of money above that . . .

Okay, just another Flathead Wacko's opinion - which is worth exactly what it cost to read it.
B&S is correct in everything he said above. In fact, if so desired, one can sink obscene amounts of money into a T5. And for any of you folks that don't realize it, B&S involves himself regularly with PRECISION "go-fast" equipment, the likes of which, most mere mortals have no comprehension. So what I'm saying here is that he does things "automotive" in grand style....no quick, BS transmission rebuilds on a makeshift, dirty workbench! Simply put, his normal MO is to re-manufacture to exacting standards, and to modify to extract performance to the nines, and then some! He's kind of a perfectionist, and there ain't a darned thing wrong with that.......PERIOD! So, with that cleared-up, I was essentially speaking of finding (they're still out there at swap meets) a greasy old '83-'87 Camaro V8 NWC T5 for $250-ish, which comes with the close ratio (2.95 1st gear) set. Another $150-ish for a simple bearing and synchronizer rebuild package, another $150-$200 for an S-10 tail shaft housing on eBay, a matching short rail shifter lid for $50 or so, another very generous $100 allowance for incidentals, and anybody with a press and some reasonable transmission savvy has that basic, decent-shifting, reasonably fresh T5 transmission with the forward-position shifter, and a .63 OD ratio that worked just fine in factory Camaros with 3.42 rear ends. Anything even close, ratio wise for a rear end gear is going to be compatible with that trans. And as long as none of the gears or major pieces have been trashed inside your starter trans, refreshing with a rebuild package SHOULD put most transmissions back on the road successfully for the average hobbyist.

Believe me, I understand the advantages of tailoring precise gear ratios when considering the likes of rear end ratio, tire size, camshaft, power bands, and more. That's precisely why my TKO was bought with a .82 OD ratio and the 2.87 1st gear. But the point here is that it is still possible to freshen a close ratio T5 that can put many happy (s)miles on your face for a grand or less.....with a .63 OD ratio! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote