Thread: temp sender
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 06:18 PM   #13
Flathead Fever

Default Re: temp sender

Quote:
Originally Posted by twostickmutt View Post
I've been thinking of putting a 6 volt cooling fan from speedway in the '39. The car is still 6 volt positive ground. I can't seem to find a coolant sender for 6 volt to go to the relay to start the fan. I was told their 12 volt sensor/sender wont work with 6 volt. Question is could I use a sender from 1940 up to the early fifties when they were still 6 volt to use to go to the relay to kick the fan on. Thanks
What about a 6V DC to 12V DC converter rated at 10A to control the 12V temperature sending unit. Then have the 12V sending unit activate a 12V starter relay but run the 6V across the contacts in the relay.

Wire in an override switch incase something fails so you can bypass the electronics and send 6V directly to the fan.

There are the adjustable sensors with a capillary tube that slips into the radiator hose. I had one on a '66 Mini Cooper S that worked real well.

Summit has this one. There are kits where the capillary tube slides\ under the hose and inside the upper tank. I though they would leak but the one I had was fine. There also kits where the capillary tube goes between the fins in the radiator core. I think you use one of these kits powered by a 6V to 12V converter. You can hook it up negative ground just by running the circuit's own separate positive and negatives wires from the battery.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-30104/overview/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l640.jpg (36.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg $_35.jpg (15.0 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 02-12-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote