View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #17
dumb person

Default Re: Drinking Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
In my opinion, the vast majority of engines can be rebuilt. It just depends on how much effort you are prepared to put into it.
When I was in the US a couple of months ago, I saw engines with nothing more wrong with them than a couple of stripped head studs being consigned to scrap. That was in an establishment that took great pride in providing top quality and they didn't want a block that was in any way less than perfect. The establishment shall remain nameless but I nearly cried when I saw blocks so much better than the one I used being discarded. There were plies of them stacked 4 or 5 high.
FWIW, The engine in my CCPU has 5 helicoiled head studs and has performed faultlessly for many miles.
Cracks are the most common reason for the demise of a Model A block, not a stripped thread which can be easily repaired.

That establishment sound like they need a good whipping & be sent to a reeducation camp for a few years. If they don't like helicoils they could at least sell the blocks to people that do.
My engines have nearly all the studs repaired with helicoils or inserts, depending on level of prior damage.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote