View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 11:57 AM   #9
tinkirk

Default Re: Strange Engine Noise

i'f you have the splash pans between the oil pan and the frame you might want to check them first, very possible that's where your noise is coming from
Tinkirk/Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdtutton View Post
Hello,

I have only owned my 1930 Ford Model A Tudor since last fall when I purchased it from a local classic automobile dealer. I drive it to work on any sunny day that is not too cold because it does not have a heater. It is 25 MPH for the first mile and the last mile of the 9 mile trip. I usually reach a maximum of about 50MPH for about 2 miles in the middle of the trip. I run 10-30 Mobile 1 synthetic oil and change it every 500 miles. It has had a couple of 10 mile trips at 45-50, but I try not to exceed 50 because deer and other cars become a test of tires and brakes.

I was driving the other day and as the engine was coming down to an idle at a stop there was a funny rattle sound at about 750 RPM (my guess). It sounded like a loose piece of sheet metal so I did not think much of it. The next day it happened a couple of times and I started searching for the rattle. At first I thought it was within the bell housing, but it seems to be near the rear of the engine. The confusing part is the sound only happens around 750 RPM, it sounds like sheet metal rattling and it doesn't make much noise until the engine warms up a bit. I tried shorting a few plugs to see if the noise would stop...and it did on all cylinders because the engine would slow and be in the quiet RPM zone.

Oil pressure is 10-15 cold and about 2-3 PSI when warm. Engine is starting and running fine, but I would like to fix this before any damage is done if possible.

I am new at this and I know some of you have been doing it forever so I hope I described things well enough to come up with some ideas.

Thank you....
tinkirk is offline   Reply With Quote