View Single Post
Old 04-07-2020, 10:05 AM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Banjo bell bearing race puller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehpotsirhcj View Post
Hi guys, having finished my trans rebuild I’m on to my banjo rear. Can someone point me to the correct (and obtainable) tool for pulling the bearing races? Note that I’d prefer a tool vs welding in a stud and using a slide hammer (as is suggested in the very handy Tardel booklet)
Thanks much,
-Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris, if we're talking about the carrier bearing races into the large end of the axle housing, which could be referred to as a "bell", I made a very simple steel bar, radiused on both ends, that's inserted into the "bell" end of axle housing, and sits on top of a small exposed ledge of that bearing race. With the axle housing sitting vertically on its "bell" end in my hydraulic press, I insert a long piece of bar stock (I use an old '35-'36 axle that has damaged threads on tapered end, & excessive wear on gear teeth) thru the small end of the axle housing, which sits on top of the steel bar, and pushes the bar and bearing race out of the axle housing using my press.
I tend to save and carefully examine all original used bearings and races that I remove from my old Fords that were manufactured in the USA,...because in some cases they are much better quality than many of todays new bearings and races coming from off shore suppliers.
Because of this, I do not use the welding bead method that will get that bearing race out, but also destroy the possibility of reuse.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 04-07-2020 at 12:03 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote