View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 07:26 PM   #16
cajunfirehawk

Talking Re: Need some barn HELP for my 36...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
I know my comment to this tread is going to sound crazy to some people, I am going to make the comment anyway.
Over fifty years ago I had a friend that had a very nice '36 Ford 2 dr sdn, the car was a custom car of the era. The Ford developed an intermediate problem which caused it to stall and then quit running. The issue was driving my friend nuts. After many attempts to correct the problem to no avail the fuel tank was removed. The tank was found to contain a few common green grapes. The grapes would roll around the bottom of the tank when one came in contact with the fuel pickup, the vacuum would pull the grape to the pickup tube shutting the fuel flow off, once the engine stopped the vacuum was broken and the grape rolled away.
A second option for the problem could be as simple as an un-vented fuel cap. I ran into this problem in a road side rest in Idaho one snowy fall day. A lady pulled into the road side rest in a '56 Chevy pickup that died on the spot. The lady asked me if there was a phone near by, I told her she could use my cell phone.
I asked the lady what was the problem, telling her that I might be able to help. The lady told me that the truck had been in and out of the shop many times during the past several weeks. On every occasion the truck would quit running within a short period of leaving the shop.
I opened the hood, there sat a nice new SBC, looking around I noted the HEI ignition and noted the ignition was hooked to the original ballast resistor on the fire wall.. Not a good thing, I switched one wire over to the incoming 12v post. I then looked things over, noted a nice new chrome fuel cap, removed cap and noted it was un-vented. I cut the bottom out of a empty soda pop can and placed it over the fill neck to keep the snow/water out. Truck started right up. The lady thanked me and drove away.
Several minutes later the lady returned in the truck, told me it was running fine and she was heading home.
The rest of the story: The lady infomed me she was a certified mechanic at a local GM dealership, she had no idea what that gizmo on the firewall was and had never heard of vented/unvented fuel caps.

Awesome stories!
The stalling issue started with an old rusty nissan junk yard fuel tank and fuel neck/cap, all of that was replaced with new correct to the car 36 fuel tank from Tanks Inc. w/vented cap. Still same issue.

I do like grapes though

1936 FORD Tudor Slantback

"cajunhotrodder" on instagram/youtube
cajunfirehawk is offline   Reply With Quote