View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 09:19 PM   #12
DougVieyra

Default Re: 1928-1929 Ford Trunk Racks

At $350 for the VARCO reproduction of the FORD AUTHORIZED accessory luggage/trunk rack for the '28-'29 Ford Model A (and it can be used on later '30-'31 cars too), the VARCO rack is more than twice the price of a currently available reproduction luggage/trunk rack with the wood-slats (originals had wood-grained metal slats) ($150).

However, having seen and used both of the two different types of racks, my experience has shown that the $350 VARCO rack is three times BETTER than the cheaper reproduction rack made for the 1930-'31 (but also used on '28-'29 cars). The real evidence comes out more fully, after about 10 years of use.

I can certainly understand the concern for cost - and it is a significant and legitimate concern. But if one can get past that frightfull hurdle, or if one plans on keeping the car for a long time, or if one is concerned about quality, then the better quality and craftsmanship of the VARCO rack would be well worth the extra dollars and would certainly be my choice. There IS a solid and legitimate reason for the extra cost.

The only reason I would hesitate on the folding rack, is if I were installing a rack on a '30-'31 car. Then I would feel that the later rack made for the later style ('30-'31) Model A, would be more 'age appropriate'. At that point I would be torn between being 'more correct', and my value for quality.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote