View Single Post
Old 02-01-2020, 01:05 AM   #20
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Default Re: Bearing fit ... engine oil gravity feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Herm,

1. Is 20W50 oil too thick for a B Engine in Winter? " End Quote "

It would be for me, in winter. I used 20-50 in my 1992 Ford truck, in summer, and 10-30, in Winter. It Broke a piston last fall, at 8,000 short of 400,000, it never had a wrench on it.

Had a 1967 Dodge Maxi van, that I pulled our band trailer with, and the band, of course. Had a valve go bad at 400,013 thousand, so I got a rebuilt engine from Gopher, in Minneapolis and put another 18,000 on that engine, and the crank broke, Diagonal, in the last Rod Pin. We were coming home from out in Nebraska, after playing a Bar, on Friday night, Wedding dance on Sat. night, and a Rodeo on Sunday after noon. Anyway, we drove somewhere around a 150 miles, at 30 miles an hour, and made it home, but it was really starting to pound. Gopher gave us another engine, and I sold it with 175,000 on that engine.

Had a 1974 Ford Maverick Grabber, Special order order paint, Dark Red, and White decals, only new vehicle I ever bought. After 451,000, I sold it to my girl friend, she put on 48,000, an sold it to a guy in Humboldt, Iowa. He drove it to his job at a Limestone Quarry for two years, and the driver door fell off, from rust, and he pulled the motor, and put it in a motorless pickup he had, in his back yard, and drove that to work. I never found out how many miles he put on, but his wife said that it still didn't use any oil. The Ford motors were 302's.

2. Too thick in Summer? No, I wouldn't think so.

Sounds like you avoid Multi weight oils?
" End Quote

Yes, for all the bearings we work with.

Take a little 5-30, or other multi oil, an warm some in a little saucepan, and and when you can touch it without burning yourself, put some between your index finger, and thumb, and rub them back and fourth, hard. Then do the same thing with 30-Wt., and see what you think.

I hope I didn't tell you more then I know!

Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote