View Single Post
Old 10-24-2018, 03:55 PM   #6
Synchro909

Default Re: Water pump to buy?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
The last pump I used had stainless shaft, worn out quick shaft not hard enough for front bearing, the water pump in the car noe(over 30 years) was made out of removed parts from making "leak less pumps---- hasn't leaked in years, the guy that had to have " leakless"has replaced it 3 times in 30 years---- I will stick with stock pumps made with old parts
I've been saying for years that the stainless shafts are too soft. I'm the sort of guy who would rather have an ordinary looking car going reliably than a pretty one stopped.
I have been toying with the idea of making new pumps with ball races front and back and a ceramic seal so NOTHING rubs the shaft. (Even a stainless shaft would last that way.) Not sure it can be done economically though as new bodies would have to be cast. Henry didn't use quite enough metal to retro fit an original. Sand casting is slow and prone to variances while using a die means a big expense to make the die. I'd have so much money in the die that I'd have to make (and sell) many thousands of them to break even, then there is the problem of marketing etc in the US - so far away. I've made 3 for myself and no failures yet after lots of miles.