View Single Post
Old 10-25-2019, 07:15 PM   #88
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: 36 Ford drag link orientation question

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
I found a box and arm on ebay. I would buy the whole thing if I thought the 37 box would work in my 36. It would be nice to have a spare I guess. Do you know if it would fit and work correctly in my car?
Thanks

David....Yes, a popular modification for a '35 or '36 is to replace the steering box with the later '37-'39 box. Although steering boxes '37 thru '48 are the same internally, shaft and column lengths vary, plus the '40-'48s don't have any provision for the headlight switch at the bottom...'37 thru '39 still have the headlight switch provision. It's easy as pie to replace the entire box AND column assembly as a unit. The only other mod necessary for a clean, correct-geometry installation is the replacement of the '36 steering box mount (which is riveted into the frame rail) with a later '37 thru '40 steering box mount like the one in the picture below. They also show-up in the "for sale" section here on the 'Barn as well as on eBay from time to time. Surely does improve the steering effort.

Would you have any interest in seeing the mechanical fan that a fellow FordBarner and I devised to get rid of that ugly electric fan on his '36 3-window coupe with an 8BA?

The '37-'40 steering box frame bracket below. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote