View Single Post
Old 07-22-2021, 10:21 AM   #56
Benson

Default Re: 3rd engine failure...getting frustrated

I agree with Jeff that posting names BEFORE the cause is found it is unfair to engine builders.

There are many possible causes for rebuilt engine failures besides the builder being at fault.

Did you know that a few years ago in California a fellow had his USED engine lock up ... bearing failure MAYBE.

They did not investigate it any further as to the cause.

He bought a rebuilt engine and it also failed within a short time.

As I remember Pat in Santa Cruz (Not original builder) was asked to investigate.

The crankcase was empty!

Pat found a green plastic pot cleaner had been stuffed inside the oil filler cap and was totally plugged up with that White gooey stuff that forms when an engine is run for MANY short trips and never warms up.

After awhile the white gooey stuff hardens totally and then plugs the green plastic pot cleaner. With the breather plugged or restricted. the crankcase pressure builds up and forces all of the oil out the rear main bearing.

Same thing when someone puts oil in engine and slams the breather cap back down and bends the tabs in cap blocking the air coming out of breather tube.

There is a service bulletin on this where tabs in the cap were reinforced

During the discussion an engine builder said he had seen all of oil forced out the rear main when breather was plugged.

This will happen in 70 miles ... YES 70 miles.

That is just what happened in this case.

Customer installed the rebuilt engine and tested the engine and changed the oil then left on a tour. He only got 70 miles and the engine seized up.

When Pat asked the owner he said that he had just moved the breather tube from one engine to the next one without checking it.

I wonder what the odds are that the first engine ran out of oil also!

As I remember Pat said it was so plugged that he could not blow air through the cap.

Stuffing steel wool in breather cap is the worse thing that you can do.

The water vapor collects on steel wool which rusts and the small pieces of steel fall into oil pan and get into the bearings.

In this case: these were NOT copper cleaners or steel wool they are plastic fiber pot cleaners.

The lesson here is to find cause of the failure before proceeding!

Ten years later many folks will only remember that the builder was at fault not what the real cause was! So wait until the real cause is found before blaming someone.

These kind of things spread like wildfire on Farsebook and by then the untruth can NEVER be rolled back.

Last edited by Benson; 07-22-2021 at 12:09 PM.