View Single Post
Old 11-19-2018, 07:02 PM   #16
rotorwrench

Default Re: New to 312 Y Block

The Cruise-O-Matics use a kick down rod linkage but they didn't come along till 1958. The Ford-O Matic design uses a throttle modulator control rod to control the shift pressures since there is no vacuum modulator. A cable set up would be very tricky to get the throttle modulator lever in the right place at the right time. It is timed to the throttle linkage and would be easier to leave it that way on a FOM application. If it is a Cruise-O-Matic or an FMX then a cable can be used for kick down but it would be a pita to set up when it already has a perfectly good set up to begin with.

Fuel delivery systems get crudded up pretty quick if they set around too long. The idle circuit in the carb is likely partially blocked with crud. The fuel tank can get gooped up if it set too long. Anything in the fuel system could be suspect until tested & proven to function properly. I don't see much wrong with the car myself. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. New fancy stuff isn't always better. I like to see home fabricated stuff when done well. All the after market stuff is over priced & over hyped in my book.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-19-2018 at 07:25 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote