View Single Post
Old 04-13-2016, 03:43 PM   #14
CarlG

Default Re: Old Mower Engine GREAT Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFRhugh View Post
When I was about nine my dad gave me a engine out of an old Reo reel mower. I had no interest in stick and ball sports but was forever taking things apart because I wanted to know how they worked. That engine is the first thing I successfully dismantled and reassembled. Still have good memories of running it nailed to a crate experimenting with different exhaust pipes. My poor neighbors!! The Reo was unique because the power takeoff was the camshaft turning half speed of the crank. We had a neighbor who welded a pulley to my one pneumatic wheel. With the Reo, drive wheel, a collection of radio flyer axels & wheels, cabinet doors, 2x4s, bent nails and a few nuts & bolts, several go carts were fabricated. Except for the Reo engine all my parts were collected from trash within walking distance of my house. This post drug up these good memories.
Thanks,
Hugh
I did pretty much the same thing, only my "engine" was a Maytag 2-cylinder with a kick starter. Came off a Maytag washing machine that my Dad had converted to electric. Drove my little go-cart all over our little farm town of about 300 people in SW New Mexico.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club

Last edited by CarlG; 04-13-2016 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Correcting the compass
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote