Thread: camshaft (Long)
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2021, 07:15 PM   #11
aermotor

Default Re: camshaft (Long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
- Well, John, It sounds like you have done everything I can think of and done it correctly. I am stumped too. I will have to think about it.

If the engine is getting the right fuel/air mixture, the compression is good, and the spark is at the right time and a hot spark, the engine should run well. Have you tried a different coil and high tension wire? A marginal spark will not jump the gap at the plug under compression. It will look good at atmospheric pressure but not under compression.
I did try a different coil and wire. I only checked the compression the old time way with my thumb in the spark plug hole. As I said every thing I changed I took off my good running speedster. As an aside I have had the engine running smooth on one cylinder taking one plug wire off at a time, I didn't think a 4 cylinder engine would do that but when tuned properly it will. I fool with hit & miss engines and some will run good by pulling the flywheel through with my thumb and fore finger, I doubt more than 3 or 4 to 1 compression ratio - if that much. I also run 2 hit & miss 8 cycle engines - figure that one out. I am really stumped.

Thanks, John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote