View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #55
Frank The Plumber

Default Re: What made you a "Ford" guy?

I liked Mustangs, I have had a lot of Mustangs, 20 or so. I had a 66 Parklane, A 71 Marquis, A 72 LTD with a 351C, a 66 gt350H, about 16 modern trucks and now the 38 panel. In the old days when Chevy power was cheap and easy and Ford go go was expensive only a tough Hombre would have the coconuts to run against the GM boys. I campaigned a 70 Mustang coupe with a 14-1 Arias, 302 forged cranked, girdled, 200 shot with a .520 cam. It ran on nectar of the gods, that nectar was not cheap. 275 for a 50 gallon drum. The stang had a serious bout with the scale and weighed in at 2,230 lbs, the only steel part was the roof, the glass was all MR 2000, had a C4 with a 4500 stall and about 8 grand worth of servo reinforcement and gear cutting. It had a Ford nine out back with a set of 4.88s 31.5 X 15 good years and Welds. A MSD 7al2, Barry G fuel pump and a set of AFB 500s on her, We never did dyno this gal, we estimate about 650 on the giggly and use the parts destruction that she could cause as a serious guide. Her best time was a 10.41 no speed reading and an rpm of 8200, that was her lock out number. I would take this car to shows on a trailer, enter it in the pro street class and when the dopes would come around to mock the trailer I would angle them in to a purse race. I loved running a little block Ford in the early eighties the Chevy guys were so bold, why would I drive a Pro Street car to a car show on 3 dollar gas in a car that gets 2 MPG? Because "I" never said it was pro street. I loved that car, but sold her to buy a house, guy I sold it to put a 600 inch motorsport engine in it, drove it into the wall at the strip, it ran a 9.20 the pass before it died. He broke a leg. But was fine other than that.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote