View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 12:47 AM   #12
Fred A

Default Re: Is Authentic Really Worth It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Was a great movie!

Seems if you'd like to turn your Standard into a Deluxe, then by all means do it, but wold you advertise it for sale as a Deluxe?

That wouldn't be right, IMO.

Plus, restoring a Standard into a Deluxe, really isn't restoring, it it?
I guess I see it quite differently. In the case of a '40 Ford the change to Deluxe is rather superficial. For the most part the grille assembly, hood, dashboard and instruments, door window garnishes, front bumper irons, deluxe interior trim, steering wheel, covered springs, hubcaps, door handles & cranks almost does it. Did I say superficial? Luckily found 90% of the parts in the last two years, surprisingly available originals.
As for what to call it?: The title calls it a coupe. Seen plenty of half harted conversions that change the hood and grille and call it done. The understanding of how many things changed during production produced a wave of concern that after that much searching, there was still issues.
Kube mentioned the need for a '40 trunk lid, which I believe that I have, having replaced what I call a carryover from '39 having the large almost square center opening in the inner structure. The replaced lid and the much finer replacement are both 1940.
While stealing my own thread, went to the '40 Ford day in Orange County CA on Sunday, hoping to find some original or restored cars. Seems that the majority of that group lean toward what may be called street rods with extensive modifications in both style and power train. What may have been cars with original features were not attended by the owners and the trip down there was not as good as expected.
Thanks for the responses: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote