View Single Post
Old 06-07-2020, 10:25 PM   #8
larrys40

Default Re: Rear End Questions

Brett
I have rebuilt hundreds of them... first of all he inner seals even if shot aren’t going to hurt anything in the meantime. Your rear axle lube typically doesn’t travel up that far, and if it did it would have to come out the taper to the inside hub .
If you are doing hubs pack he outer bearings well with a high fiber type grease with new seals correctly installed sharp side inward .

Lots of questions in above posts . How far are you driving... etc. most axles if not had a previous quality rebuild attention need proper rebuilding. I wouldn’t even think of replacing seals and putting it back together without the thorough rebuild. But as I said the inner seals are to keep the grease that is pumped into the housing fitting directed to the hub as opposed to the inner housing.
The best way to lube them is to remove and pack manually anyway.

Comprehensive rear axle rebuild includes ratio/use evaluation , all parts cleaned and inspected and new bearings, seals, preloads set properly on all bearings .
Housing races/hubs , etc all inspected and evaluated for use and restoration.
My suggestion is to see if there is anyone in our local Model A club that is an experienced driveline restorer to get some help. If not there are folks like myself who do these services if you cant’ or don’t want to tackle it yourself. There is a skill and process to it.
I am in St. Louis area if you need a rebuilder.
I advertise in the restorer and Model A news.
Larry shepard

Last edited by larrys40; 06-07-2020 at 10:49 PM.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote