View Single Post
Old 07-15-2021, 12:27 PM   #49
Marshall V. Daut

Default Hydraulic brake questions - 1932 Coupe: UPDATE

No luck getting the Frankenstein conglomeration of mixed parts and various years hydraulic brake conversion to work in this car. After doing research and asking a lot of questions via email and telephone, we have decided to order a fabricated K-member with brake/clutch and MC combination from Millworks Hotrod in New Hampshire. Other suppliers require that we supply original pedals and shaft. Not an easy nor cheap requirement. Millworks' stock pedal/MC kits will not work in our car because the 1939 transmission interferes with the brake pedal travel. Also, the truck pedal cage in place now just isn't going to work. The K-member has been so badly cut up and cut out in three major places that there is virtually no lateral frame support. No point in trying to reuse it. Our only alternative was to order a specially fabricated kit from Dave at Millworks. Not cheap, but I see no other alternative if we want this car to stop. Minimum of a three week delivery estimate. The pedals are new and not exactly like originals, but at this point, that's only a minor consideration. This car is so screwed up beneath the sheet metal that non-authentic pedals is the least of our concerns.
We'll start the process by removing the old K-member by drilling out the rivets. I assume that in order to install this new K-member, we will have to pull the rear end?
In early August, I am scheduled for a knee replacement surgery, which is about the time the kit will arrive. Allowing for a two-month recovery period before I am allowed to do heavy lifting, it may be late October before I can report back on our progress. The project will most likely be on hold until then.
Stay tuned...

Thanks for everyone's suggestions so far.

Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 07-15-2021 at 04:32 PM.
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote