View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #15
tdlmomowers

Default Re: Starter Solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
I wish your NAPA was near me! I think ours differs, 30 countermen with 4 years experience between them!
I have a decent collection of catalogs, including the wonderful Echlin buyers guide, and try to use that and the partially useful NAPA online list to figure out numbers to ask for. The countermen are mostly quite young and don't know how to work a "book", so when the computer fails to give an answer on an ancient application their minds just grind to a halt!
My guide says that you want an ST 53, just as 51 Merc says...
For what it's worth, ST 56 is the 12V equivalent, actually referencing the 12 V early Ford bus line.
The key in hunting is "insulated base"...device is ungrounded, with the starter button providing the ground. Most common solenoids are grounded base with hot side fed by the starter switch circuit...when you hit the right piece in the Buyer's guide, you will usually find a cross reference to an actual early Ford part number to confirm things.
Yes, there is no replacement for experience. We depend on the paper catalogs as much as the computer catalogs. There are parts that just can't be found on the computer. Mechanical wisdom helps also. I worked as an Industrial Truck Mechanic for 32 years before I went to work for NAPA. I don't like to see anyone walk out of our store without parts in hand. We try to go an extra step to help everyone that stops in. NAPA has availability for a lot of parts for antique cars, but we have to be willing to dig sometimes to find them. The young kids are lost if they can't find it on the computer.
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote