View Single Post
Old 04-12-2020, 04:06 PM   #14
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Anyone heard from TOD lately about casting a new block?

I've seen the Kirby design and I don't think it is something that could be easily produced at an affordable price . . . the cylinder setup is just too goofy. I'm not going to comment on how "I would have done it" - but the design is not viable in my eyes and I'm sure that is one of the reasons that he and/or Shadow Rods never brought it to market. There would not be any volume for it, it can't be sanctioned in racing and the cost of a fully built engine would be just too high - to sell enough of them to ever make a profit.

That is the general problem in anybody trying to make a flathead block . . . how many could you possibly sell . . . for what price?

There is probably no economic justification to do it - other than maybe somebody like Tod who is already doing a lot of this goofy vintage stuff, has foundry experience, may make his own foundry, etc.. Damn near has to be a very small, super-talented and unique situation/setup for it to have any chance to work. With that said, boy would I like a 3.5" bore, aluminum block with improved flow and replaceable liners . . . would be the "cats ass". LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote