View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 05:51 AM   #9
JCAllison

Default Re: The GREAT Ms. American 3.14159 Daily Driver Diary Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford4v429 View Post
the boys each have one car on our policy but theyve worked and paid thier part from day one- they've been good about earning/saving...the other 7 put us one over, so likely will move a couple to haggerty
Hey Tim,
Your progeny seem to be doing just fine. You've done a good job of raising them, teaching them responsibility.
Quote:
i remember the 429 gal required unbolting a motor mount/jacking the motor to remove- this will get long winded, but that 429's appetite for starters is kinda how i came to still have it all these decades later- 1978 or so, brother and i were in colorado visiting my real dad, the gal burnt up a starter and stepdad in ohio changed it by himself(usually I helped). Jim had a paralyzed left arm from a car wreck of all things while he was in the air force in Korea- anyways, he was tough- he got the darn thing in one handed
AMAZING! Have added to the agenda here the moving of the Ramps out to the Car Port, and the next time that Ms. American is out and about, when we get home will put her front Tires up on the Ramps, and leave her to cool. Then next day, am going to see if the Nut on the Starter Stud where the Cable from the Solenoid is attached can be tightened. Think that THAT is what is causing the slight hesitation when starting HOT. Am kind of thinking that if a SHORT, proper sized Wrench is used that it might be that the NUT can be better tightened. Will just have to wait and see.
Quote:
somehow, but didnt see the cable was on the exhaust...he got halfway to work the next day when it had a underhood fire...wiring harness completely melted, belts/hoses were fried by time they got it put out.
Terrible thing to have happen.
Quote:
anyway when my brother and I got back to Ohio, mom said 'the bomb' (as we nicknamed it the day they bought it in 1972 or so), was going to be junked as it was not worth fixing...I talked her into letting me keep it if i could fix it- they gave me a month...got a dishwashing/bussing job at local chicken restaurant, bought some wire/tape/soldering iron/5 cent copies at the library from a 'motor' manual...made a new harness, painted the engine, had it running and looking good under the hood in a couple weeks.
Example of dogged perseverance if ever there was one.
Quote:
God I loved that car. it got put in the garage till I got my permit months later, by then it was accell wires, new brake linings, the mint interior was all spiffed up- was a beast of a great running car. got my license at 16, 3 weeks later wrecked it (but STILL have the 429).
Kind of disheartening, but at least part of it is still surviving.
Quote:
Anyways, know what you mean about being on the fence- might need to find a neighborhood/parts store kid that could lend a hand or two sometimes?
Well, there are no "neighborhood/parts stores, and don't know anyone who could help. If the Starter gets replaced, it will have to ME that will do it, and it will take some ingenuity to figure out HOW it can be done.
Quote:
in any event, I'm sure youll remember to watch the wiring/exhaust- but ill post this reminder anyway
The Starter Cable goes around BEHIND the Cast Iron Shorty Headers, the forward to the Starter Terminal. Am thinking that it MIGHT be reachable by using either a "short" wrench, or maybe it can be gotten to with a Ratchet, Extensions, and U-Joint Sockets. Again, will just have to wait and see.
Quote:
thats for sure
It's have to be a Lamborghini, or Ferrari next to the old Gal in order for her to get ignored, and even then, it might be a toss up.
Quote:
not glamorous to say the least...but hopefully can get it a new lease on life... silly, my junkyard forklift i did last year sat in the garage all winter, while the 06 mustang had to sit outside. hoping to put a lean-to up this year too...too many projects.
Know what you mean. BUT, it just takes doing EVERYTHING in baby steps. It's amazing how will doing that works.
Quote:
colorado springs/pueblo are closest big cities...the scenery here is just beautiful...Dads in a nursing home now(oddly now Mom and different stepdad live just a mile from nursing home Dad is in) and not well, but hanging in there...we try to get out at least once a year...taking Mom back home with us for a couple weeks to see old friends/relatives, then will fly here back here- good thing about the new truck, its got a boatload of room. never thought id have a aluminum truck, but gotta say, man did Ford make a nice vehicle...450(!!!) hp from its little v6 is a beast, every time I get on a on ramp the kids are tired of hearing me say 'I cant believe this is a six cylinder'
They've come a long way, haven't they. Still, one has to have all kinds of Computerized Equipment to work on one of them. They are obviously NOT like Lorrie's MIGHTY 225 Slant Six, or Ms. American's 3.14.
Quote:
I actually thought I saw a dodge postal jeep yesterday in Canon City, tried to turn around, wifes like 'what are you doing?' and I had to go...too much traffic...was def RHD, sliding side doors, but had a rollup rear door-
Lorrie has a Roll-Up Rear Door! Alas the Cable that attaches to the Coiled Spring Assist has broken. Rear Door is Heavy, and when it is opened, it is held open by a Bungee Strap!
Quote:
was kinda cut up for a icecream truck- if I see it again will find out for sure what it is.
Had a fellow some time ago ask to buy Lorrie. He said he'd turn her into an Ice Cream Truck.
Quote:
hoping can get to work when i get home- our town has record flooding, lots of roads closed- son at home said lots of detours, and theyre expecting 2 more inches of rain tomorrow... they had 5.5" in 2 days already.
GADS! The stuff like this seems to just happen time and time again.
Quote:
past my bedtime- talk to you soon- tim
All right. It's time to feed the felines here.

Anyway, be in touch. Hope you are well. Take care.

JC
Ms. American 3.14159,1964 Ford Galaxie 500,Model:64 4-Door Hardtop,Body:57B 4-Door Fastback,Police Interceptor,390 CID,330 HP,P-Code FE,Solid Lifters,Cast Iron Shorty Headers,Autolite 4100 C4AF-9510-DG Carb,Mustangs Etc.Manual Choke,3 Speed BorgWarner T85 Overdrive Transmission,4.11:1 Differential,Kelsey Hayes Severe Service Wheels,PerTronix Ignitor III HEI,60,000 Volt PerTronix FlameThrower HC Coil,Frantz Oil Cleaner,Chantilly Beige
JCAllison is offline   Reply With Quote