View Single Post
Old 03-02-2019, 08:41 AM   #6
Joe K

Default Re: New to Model A and Starter Question

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
So I went to start it and it turns over very slow and takes a bit before it will actually start. After engaging the starter a few times it gave just a grinding sound, let off, try again, grinding sound again, let off, tried again and got nothing, no click or anything.
Pretty dead battery? Might be the case if the starter has jammed previously for the former owner. The early starters ARE prone to jamming - more so as they get older.

Others have said it. You have a moderately rarer Model A, one possibly worth keeping original - if you can. The current crop of ring gears are aimed at the later starter and won't work on the early Abell.

A trick you may employ: engines when they stop tend to stop in one of two positions each 180 degrees apart. If you can remove the ring gear (can be done with a punch and carefully "walking" it off the flywheel) and turn it 90 degrees relative to original position. This brings "better" teeth into contact at the two positions where the engine stops and can reduce jamming.

Yes, pretty good looker. When I drive my closed cab pickup to the dump, the attendant says "you can leave this junk over there" (pointing.)

Joe K