View Single Post
Old 07-31-2017, 09:17 AM   #1
cederholm

Default 8BA electrical question

Hi guys, I have a few more questions regarding my 1952 8BA, but firsts a little history. I want (and have wanted for a long time) to build a traditional AV8 hot rod and about 10 years ago I won an ebay auction on a non-running AV8 complete motor and trans. In retrospect it was a risky move on a motor that I knew NOTHING about. I think beer may have been involved in my bidding process. Anyway, I won and drove to Pennsylvania from NYC to claim my prize. My then pregnant wife was not amused. The motor came from some farm related truck and the transmission had a PTO so I sold that pretty quickly. I carefully pulled the motor apart and bagged and labeled everything. The motor had a spun rod bearing and damaged crank and rod, but after removing tons of gung the block looked very good. Then life got in the way and the motor was moth-balled in a dry shed.

Cut to a month ago and the Hot Rod projects is back in my sights and the 8BA is top of the list. With the help of this board and advice from Ol’Ron, I’ve brought my block to Gary at The Motor Shop (GOSFAST) – and man am I glad I did. He’s cleaned and tested the block and says it’s one of the finest block to come through his shop in a long long time. The current plan in to take the cylinders to 40 over and go with a 4” crank. He’ll do the machine work and supply the parts, I’ll assemble – because I like that kind of stuff!

Okay, sorry for the ramble – on to my questions. Cleary I’ll need to upgrade some parts to use with 12v and I need advice.

• Distributer – I hear I need to find Bubba. Can he upgrade my stock unit or are there other options?
• Starter – I’ve recently had a 1953 Chevy starter converted to 12v for an old inline six. Can I do the same here?
• Generator – can this be converted to 12v?

I’d love to reuse as much of the Henry stuff as I can!

Thanks,
Carl
cederholm is offline   Reply With Quote