View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
JoeWay

Default Re: Huge Swap Meet in Reno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
This Thursday-Saturday at Hot August Nights in Reno, NV. 700 vendors at the swap meet.
These street rod guys remove a lot of parts we Model A guys can use.
http://www.hotaugustnights.net/pages.php?var=swap-meet
Chris,

Sounds as if you may not have attended this meet, at least not in the last few years?

As Quickchange says, HAN vendor numbers have been falling since the original Reno meet moved to Sacramento. Most of the remaining vendors are focused on the street rod market, with an annoyingly high percentage of sunglasses/T-shirts/etc.

The rodders don't have room to bring parts with them nor time to work a space, and they're not buying old parts so other vendors don't bring them.

This trend started even before the Reno meet moved. We set up at HAN to promote our business (see sig) from 1993 through about 2000, by which time it wasn't worth the trouble.

I've been attending the Reno meet off and on since the early '60s, when it was sponsored by Bill Harrah and held at Wooster High School. Back then it was a REAL meet, the best on the west coast. Harrah sponsored it to get people from all over the country to bring parts to him for his collection, and his buyers were first and fast.

I have not attended the Sacramento meet, but I hear it's pretty good.

Joe
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote