View Single Post
Old 01-04-2020, 09:16 AM   #14
35fordtn

Default Re: Attention distributor rebuilders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
Michael, you do a lot of distributors therefore gather a bunch more experience on certain issues than we amateurs do. Thanks for sharing.

Your mentioning point bounce and the frequency that you encounter it ... do you use a spring tension gauge? Is it a reliable indicator of point function?

As a separate question, with the number of bad points that are being supplied, how do you avoid selling some of them and having to deal with come-backs?

Wouldn't a roadside fruit and vegetable stand be less trouble?
Fruit stand sounds like a good idea I should consider it, thanks.

I mention point bounce so much as I have high expectations for ones that get sent in to me to be rebuilt. These days with the Hot Rod drags and Hill climbs and such, guys are winding these flatheads to high rpms. That and the fact that most every distributor I test that someone Built themselves has either a point bounce issue or sticky advance weights, or the initial timing is off. I likely make too big of a deal about this point bounce or double arrow on the machine but it’s the one thing that a petronix unit has over points.

I’ve had comebacks on distributors as to be expected, but never on a set of points. I have a tension gauge but mostly only use it on the 32-35 distributors. I used to sell Carpenter points years ago when I first started my little business but didn’t know any better at the time. For years now I’ve sold and used the same Standard and Echlin points (I cant see the difference) with zero issues and haven’t had to “check” the ones sold until this week.

Sure have learned a lot over the years reading posts from yourself and Jim Linder on here. These early v-8 and v-12 distributors just fascinate me. I don’t do and haven’t done as many as Jim so I still look forward his experiences and advice. These days most of the distributors i do are for bigger vendors that resale them.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote