View Single Post
Old 12-30-2019, 08:39 AM   #9
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: Install oil filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
With the low mileage and general overall pampering these cars usually get, the original bypass system is just fine. As a matter of fact, in most situations it may be superior to the alternatives because it will remove smaller particles than a system using a regular full flow element. When was the last time you ran your car down an old dusty dirt road? Or went 5000 miles between oil changes? If you are subjecting your vehicle to these extreme conditions, you may want to consider upgrading the system, but for most of us, the bypass system is just fine. The common knock on these systems is that all of the oil does not get filtered as it passes through the pump and supply system. That may be, but I think it was someone on here who did some experimenting and found that all of the oil goes through the filter in a five minute period. With the finer filtration capabilities provided, it's perfectly adequate and possibly a better way to go.
Totally agree and it was I who determined that at idle speed, 5 quarts of oil
goes thru the bypass filter in 11 minutes, as it does thru the Amsoil bypass filter I adapted to mine.