View Single Post
Old 12-19-2019, 02:59 PM   #15
Joe K

Default Re: A pic from the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutie View Post
So many years ago, found this in my father in law' garage. Back of the photo says 1945 on Plank Rd. (now sawkill rd. ) Kingston N.Y. I still live here and the background houses and buildings are still there. Vehicles appear to resemble the mid 1920' to 1930. Seems most were destined for junk after 15 to 25 years and not all fords. So many good parts, looks as though they drove them here and left them.
I think it was Henry Ford himself possibly after re-establishing himself as President of Ford Motor Company after the death of Edsel Ford who commissioned a survey of "American Junk Yards" to find out which brand/style/origin of car had the longest life.

Ford was pleased to see that Fords generally survived "longer" than other makes of cars and were less populous in the yards than any other brand.

In roughly this same time period (late 1930s) my father at about age 16 bought a 1929 Model A RPU from the Junkman for $15. He drove this car until after WWII broke out (he perhaps 21) and he was now in college and not driving the car. Sold back to the Junkman for $15.

Dad considered this one of the best car buys he made in his life.

He always thought highly of that truck, was pleased when I bought the 29CCPU, and was a supporter (of sorts) about my part in the hobby.

He did say on my using my Graduation Gift from college to buy the CCPU. "DON'T expect to use this car in everyday use" (which I didn't really have that thought.)
He knew full well the draw-backs of Model A use at today's traffic level.

Joe K