Thread: tesla Truck
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2019, 12:17 AM   #48
tomcarman

Default Re: tesla Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
I was really interested in electric conversions a few years back. They are fairly simple, not that expensive and the information and parts are available, until you get to the batteries!!!
Just could not find a good alternative, there are weight, size or cost issues. Gave up on the whole idea. It can be done if you can overcome the battery issue.
Forward thinking as technology gets better, same as in 32 when Ford introduced the Flat head V8. I have several ideas that have been floating around in my head for a number of years regarding electric powered vehicles. Here's one idea: Supposing one didn't have to totally rely on a recharging station, but rather had a small Briggs and Stratton type engine that would automatically start and recharge your battery enroute as needed. Supposing if this option were avalaible the battery capacity/weght/cost could be reduced to propel the vehicle and the engine could power a generator to accomplish this. This technology already exists. I'm sure many of you have a generator already. Do away with most of the fancy electronics. We already have deep cycle marine batteries that are rechargeable over and over again. In this scenario one could potentially have a vehicle that gets incredible milage.I remember clearly when I was a kid we could fill up the homebuilt minibike for a quarter and ride all day. That was when my Dad wouldn't buy gas if it was over 30 cents/ gallon. I have other ideas if anyone is interested in reading them.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote