View Single Post
Old 08-04-2019, 03:16 PM   #6
Jim/GA

Default Re: Battery Discharge

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodie1 View Post
I'm going nuts trying to solve a simple battery discharge problem. I thought the cutout was sticking closed so I replaced it & had the battery checked & was told it was not good. I put a new one in about a month ago. I think I started the car about a week after the new battery went in & it spun the started good & started right up. Today it was dead. I disconnected the cable from the starter & am charging the battery now. Should I disconnect the wires at one side of the terminal box & wait to see if the battery discharges again or the cutout? I have a fuse on the starter but I don't think I will get far into the system if I remove the fuse.
Remove the fuse and connect a test light across the clips of the fuse holder. If it lights, you have a drain. If no light, then no drain (at that time). Wiggle and jiggle things until the light comes on.

If you remove the wires at the cutout that go to the headlight switch and come from the terminal box, you taken a lot of potential voltage drains out of the system. See if you still have a drain. If you do, look at ignition coil, terminal box, ammeter, ignition switch, dash light.

The ignition switch or ammeter can touch the gas tank inside the instrument panel and ground at times, not at others. Hard to figure out. I put electrical tape over the paint on the gas tank behind the the ignition switch.

If test light is not lit with the wires disconnected, the problem is in cutout, one of the lights, or the horn.

The wire to the horn is hot all the time and can cause a drain.

This may be an intermittent problem. One of the reasons I use a battery cut-off switch.

Good luck with it. Tell us what you find!
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote