View Single Post
Old 01-15-2020, 04:18 PM   #8
Gary Karr

Default Re: Fine point judging...a simple question

I have two fine point MARC Henry award Model A's so I figured I'd give you my opinion. Yes the cost of doing a fine point restoration is high but so is doing a nice, reliable driver. I try to do most of my own work as that is an enjoyable part of the hobby for me. I see less restorers today and more that will simply order out of a catalog and replace than find the original parts and spend time restoring them. Part of that is digging through swap meets to find the correct parts. It boils down to what extent do Model A owners want to take their restoration. To me, it's just as easy to do it correctly and do the best job you can than to do a half-assed job. I guess to each his own.
Another factor I see is that once the national clubs created the driving class judging, many owners did their cars to those standards and were happy with the award they received, usually a higher point total than if they would have entered in fine point.
Bottom line, there is something for everyone in this hobby. I encourage anyone that has even a passive interest in authentic restorations to go for it in fine point. It is a great learning experience and super rewarding to receive whatever award you received on the night of the awards banquet.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote