View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 07:27 PM   #9
Paps31

Default Serial number size

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
We have a rebuilt engine in our 1929. Old engine number has been ground off and the frame number for car was re stamped on engine to match all of our paperwork for the last 50 years. Car has been register in N.Y. and Conn. No one has ever question the style of stamping, just confirmed number.

My experience has been that you need confirming back up paperwork. In states like Connecticut titles are not issued to cars over 20 model years old. A Model A would be sold with a bill of sale, and a current or past registration certificate showing VIN.

Engine number should match paperwork. Also, our engine number approval date is June 15, 1929, date on firewall is June 18, 1929. This could all help with DMV person who has questions.

I don’t know if I have helped you. As mentioned earlier, if not a point car, I think you just need to have an engine number that can be read and makes sense to the car it’s on. With back up paperwork. Enjoy.

In Kentucky, a vehicle must pass a sheriff’s VIN inspection before a title can be issued.

I have the original title, last issued in 1964 in the state of West Virginia with the original serial number. The motor was replaced during restoration between 1964-67.

FWIW, I have the original motor sitting in my shed. It matches the serial number on the title, though it’d take an archaeologist to read it.

The number on the running engine that’s inside the car has about two legible digits, which is just enough to know it doesn’t match the title.

Without a matching number INSIDE the car, Kentucky is inclined to issue a salvage title. No thanks.

Since I have two engines, one original, one replacement — neither of which have legible serial numbers — but I need matching numbers to obtain a title ... here I am, innocently inquiring about stamp sizes for no particular reason. [emoji56]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paps31 is offline   Reply With Quote