View Single Post
Old 11-03-2018, 03:42 PM   #13
Karl

Default Re: Model A Timing Advance System

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
I have been wrong once or twice before. I believe that automatic advance (and retard) is the only optimum way to set the timing for all engine speeds. The how it sounds and feels is too inaccurate.

John
I'm certainly a member of the being wrong club ( according to my wife frequently) as well . I suspect you are right that you get optimum performance by variable timing of an engine . However the issue is does it really make a big difference in the Model A engine. We are playing with only 40 hp so even if it gives you an extra 10% that is only 4 hp.

Anecdotally before I brought the 34 I did about 10000 miles per year in my stock 1930 Phaeton and various other stock Model A's On trips I would cruise at 50-55 mph for hours on end with no problems -would slow down to drive through towns and even stop at lights without ever touching the advance and retard lever -all seemed good .

Yes Derek I could put a Model B dizzy in -but I would miss my lovely copper connectors to the plugs LOL

Karl