View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 04:36 PM   #19
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso
Default Re: Here we go again - more fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowes View Post
I don't understand why we (are government) doesn't do something about it. My suggestion would be to take about 100 of the large military and civilian aircraft that are retired and sit on the desert and convert them into fire-fighters. Place a National Guard there and have them head for any forest fire immediately with the "shock and awe" approach that we used in the first gulf war. With that many planes the fire should be knocked down before it burns any homes and hundreds of acres. Then send in the ground forces to mop up any residual embers. I can't see how this would be a cost issue when you consider the loss of property, homes, forest, animals, etc. as we seem to have fires every year somewhere. They could even fly to Australia or other locations that are in fire trouble. Just my thoughts. Jack
Flying in the canyons is inherently dangerous. The big airplanes cannot fly when the winds have gusts of 50 to 60 miles an hour along the canyons. If you have never experience the Santa Ana winds it hard to imagine. A big rig trucker was interviewed on TV a couple of years ago near the Cajon Pass. He said "I dindn't know they had hurricanes in Southern California!"

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote